Monday, July 28, 2008

Goodbye Brooklyn, Hello Cairo

This time four years ago, I had just moved to Tucson, Ariz. after graduating college where I was told the position I’d moved for had already been filled. Waiting tables, here I came. 
 
Three years ago took me to Brooklyn, NY to a neighborhood called Carroll Gardens. It also brought me to my bipoloar roommate. Oh yeah, and I was still waiting tables, but was met with an unpaid internship that led me to a miserable paid internship with a beauty/fashion publication. Do you really consider it “paid” if the hours are 10 am to 7 pm for $25 a day? I’m not so sure, but moving on.
 
Two years ago found me still waiting tables, but trying harder than ever to attain that first real job. I was fired after almost a year at the restaurant in Midtown, my first firing experience ever. Looking back now, I realize it was the best thing that ever could’ve happened. I owe a special thanks to Steve. I quickly picked up another restaurant job. God gives us a tap on the shoulder when it is time to move on. If you ignore it, He gives you a nudge. Ignore that, and He takes matter into His own hands. I was fired from that job a week before Christmas. And then, I was offered my first real job three days prior to the holiday.
 
Seven months ago, I was offered a job as a financial reporter and now – I’m in Egypt. Whew, so much and only 25 (okay, 26 in a month, but who’s counting?).

The story continues in an unexpected way, but one that’s sure to be a great story for the kids – as though I didn’t have enough already.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Saw your blog listed on expat blogs. I have really enjoyed it! We have friends in Cairo and would like to visit sometime. I love your impressions and photos.

    ReplyDelete