Friday, October 3, 2008

Letters from Egypt:: New Thoughts

Egypt is slightly growing on me, I must admit. Yes, I hit a rough patch a few weeks ago, but that was to be expected.

As some of you know, I’m going to Nigeria on Sunday. Please keep my Saints alive while I will be gone. I also have to say that I’m looking forward to the experience. I know I know, call me crazy, but I’m fascinated with the idea. The only thing I’m not fascinated with is giving a speech in front of various African leaders. Yes, the last time I gave a speech was in 2000 in my public speaking class. I’m not a bad public speaker, but I still have a strong accent and fumble words sometimes.

So here’s a secret about me: since I majored in broadcasting, I still practice my enunciation. I put the news on silent and read the closed-caption to practice as though I was reading a teleprompter. Yes, I’m a goober.

The change of pace here is nice – sometimes. Everything is slo-mo. I wake up around 6:30-7:30, edit the morning news, write news articles on alternative energy for the website and then begin focusing on the print magazine. I even write the editor’s letter for one magazine, which can also be nerve racking because I always wondered who reads those? Apparently, a lot of people.

I go to the café and people watch. I have a little bit of home when I watch my coworker play softball. The most important thing is I enjoy my job.

I don’t know when I’m going to come back to the US, even for a visit. I initially thought I would come for the Superbowl, then my birthday, but now, I’m just unsure. However, I do plan on moving back to NY one day, but as far as to say it will be in 18 months, I think is putting the cart before the horse. I came to the conclusion that if I keep saying that, then I’m never going to take in everything I can here.

It’s scary to start all over, especially in a new place where English isn’t commonly spoken and the traditions are anything but what you’re use to. I think what’s even scarier is facing certain things that you’ve tried to avoid, but no matter how far you move away, they still have a way of surfacing. Natalie said that just when I move away, I’ll find out how much I really missed and enjoyed it here.

She also said, “Egypt has a way of bringing you back.”

2 comments:

  1. oh my word. I am so proud of you. you said recently in a survey, that you're afraid of failure... you are every definition of success. live, eat and breath in your experience... know that we are proud of you, love and miss you dearly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings, LeAnne

    Congrats on your speech, you are are an inspiration, that every parent hope for:) and most of all our Mentor:).

    Who would have believed, that you were the one who dare to take a risk for success?

    You will always be our prayer! and "Happy Thanksgiving"

    God love you, and we love you too!
    Dianne,Joshua,Jakob, Erin:)Atl,Ga.

    ReplyDelete