Sunday, December 14, 2008

Letters from Egypt: What I've Learned in Six Months

Taken on my way from Heliopolis to Maadi
 
I was told that six months would be a turning point. I would know how I liked Egypt, and whether I had more of an idea of how long I would stay. Hmmm… Instead, what I can tell you are some of the things I’ve learned. 
 
I’ve learned that I still don’t know for sure how I feel about Egypt, but I’m learning everyday. This will be my first holiday season outside the US. I have to admit that right now, I’m a little homesick. I miss NY winters, the Christmas parties, phone calls with family and watching Christmas cartoons. 
 
I’ve learned that Egypt makes me think more about myself: who I am and who I want to be. I remember going off to college, thinking of what kind of person I wanted to be. I knew that I was never my true self in high school. I became exactly what I set out to do. Then when moving to Arizona, I thought of things that I could change, but realized there wasn’t anything. That was my first mistake. So when moving to NY, I took what I learned and became what worked for NY. Unlike Arizona’s move, I came to Egypt knowing that I had a great deal to work on. I only hope that I am changing for the better.  

I’ve learned that I do not fit in. I will never be in one group and/or classification. I’ve never been. However, I finally understand that's not a bad thing. Sometimes it is nice to be versatile.  

I’ve learned that just when I thought I had patience, I find that I’m still a work-in-progress. Little things still make me lose my cool; for instance, the guy coming to collect the electricity and laying on my doorbell because I didn’t buzz him in within five seconds.  

I’ve learned that my instincts are almost never wrong…almost.  

I’ve learned that no matter where you move, there will always be stories.  

I’ve learned that you have necessary friends and friends of necessity. Circumstances bring people together who wouldn’t normally befriend one another. I was in a sorority, this is a perfect example. The expat community is another example. However, it is important to remember that you shouldn’t have anyone in your life that doesn’t offer something positive.  

I’ve learned that sometimes, no matter how much you want to help, you just can’t. That old saying, “You can lead a horse to water, but you just can’t make him drink.”
 
View Friday night overlooking the Nile

3 comments:

  1. Hi LeAnne, how's it going,? about getting along in Egypt, are you still raising your sails or did you start your motor?

    "I’ve learned that you have necessary friends and friends of necessity"
    I really like that one ;)

    cheers,
    amr

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,
    Great post! And btw, when did you do the redesign? Am I way late on noticing? I'm really digging it.

    Rachel

    Btw, don't know what's up with my password, hence the "anonymous" post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Happy NEW YEAR" LeAnne,
    Love the pictures:) Every word you have spoken is inspiration and truthful,it goes to show that you are not alone.
    Nevertheless, you execute the true thoughts and meaning of what you did not expect, and what you are now experience.
    It is a wonderful blessing to see and hear the true meaning of; "One of the most courageous person as yourself"
    You are living an insipration journey to see and hear, to experience the different texture of one life. "Excellent Memoirs"

    Please take care:) and your heart is most beautiful. Most of all,God love You!

    Sincere Thanks,
    dianne, joshua, jakob, erin.. Atl.Ga.08'

    ReplyDelete