Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Letters from Egypt: Missing in Action

First of all, I’m going to address this issue – you may not agree with what I write, but note that these are my experiences. As I’ve stated in previous blogs, I’m not here to appease everyone, if I only showed the positive without the negative, how realistic is that? I do not mind counter views, but please remain respectful.

Furthermore, for those men who send me emails and/or post comments pretending to be women – just stop. You’re only validating views that have been expressed regarding harassment.

Finally, I almost always respond to questions and/or comments. However, I make a rule that I do not meet men via my blog unless in a group setting. This is a safety precaution, and one that I highly recommend for anyone in any situation.

As Ramadan has ended and another birthday has come and gone, I wonder where I’ll be next year at this time. Will it still be Egypt, will I be back in the US, or some other unknown location?

I have to be honest, I really miss home. My best friend recently got engaged and told me in an email. While being thrilled, part of me was sad that the news came via an email and not a phone call. Thus is part of the set back in being overseas.

And of course, I’m at the age where many of my friends are getting engaged, married, having children and I wonder – what the hell am I doing? Oh yeah, riding camels by the pyramids (which might I advise, do not ride for longer than 30 mins as you will regret it later…and I do mean REGRET). Now, don’t get me wrong, I love my life, but sometimes I just wonder if I'm missing out on other things. And I can tell you what, I am.

That isn’t to say that life as an expat isn’t exciting and definitely gives you stories for when you’re 85+ years old in a nursing home humoring your nursing attendant. What I’m trying to convey is that while the grass is always greener on the other side, there’s definitely no win-win to life as an expat. You’re seen as adventurous from friends and family at home, and yet, sometimes you just want to return to that time before you were known as this globe trotter (so to speak).

Then I wonder if when you become an expat, if you’re always an expat?

***CREEP ALERT***

Beware all potential travelers venturing on a desert safari. I received word of a group that went on a desert safari with the man pictured. While I will remain brief, he was inappropriate to all the women and also took pictures of them exiting the water for personal use – despite their persistence he stop. I believe he has been reported to the proper authorities, but this is a warning for any of you that thought about booking with this company and/or guide:

Ahmed Mouaref

Siwa Oasis (does tours throughout Egypt)

www.siwasafaritours.com

badwy_mouaref@yahoo.com

3 comments:

  1. I think you are doing a wonderful job...hold strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of: Thanks for the creep alert!

    Second: When was your last vacation home? Maybe you need some time off, get out of here and see everyone again for a while?

    I might always stay an Expat, since this was my idea when I started in my job (Hotel), where I met hubby and now I'm traveling with him for his job.

    Being an Expat doesn't mean you won't find a partner (THE partner). It just has to be the right time.

    And living in the US? Well, for us there are many reasons not to want to live there (nor in Germany).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Nicole and you're right, I do need a vacation - that was going to be my next blog. I have yet to go home since I moved here and will be leaving a about a month and a half. I'm looking forward to it as my attitude and overall being simply needs a break.

    PS I'm not looking for a partner, or the partner, you just always wonder "what if" no matter what situation. Thanks again and have a good one. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete