Friday, December 31, 2010

Letters from Egypt: Ending a Decade


“Cheers to a new year and another chance to get it right.” – Oprah

Taken from NYE 2010 - scary
I don’t believe in New Year resolutions because let’s be honest, who ever really keeps them? I do believe in having a bucket list, but that’s become a little muddled through the years. All the while, I still have a lot of hopes for 2011.

So for this upcoming year, I’ve decided that I’m about to end a decade – and what have I done? Okay, maybe I’ve done a lot compared to some, but I haven’t done remotely anything compared to others. And while I don’t turn 30 until 2012, this is my last full year in my 20s, and I want to make it count.

There are a lot of things that I keep holding on to that while they might have made me the person I am, I don’t want them to continue to bring me down. So here’s to me working on moving past…well, moving past my past.

There are a lot of things that I do, making my life run in a continuous circle, I hope to be better at recognizing those repeated actions. There are some of you that while I appreciate all the great things you have done for me, sometimes we have to realize that our road was the same for the time, but a fork has appeared. And I need to take a different route. It doesn’t mean that I’m disloyal; it just means that this year, I need to take more time for me in order to better myself. Our paths may cross again and at that time, I hope that I’m the friend that you need.

This year, I’m going to travel. Every year I say this, but every year I get bogged down with work and saving up to visit home (which happens once a year). While I love my home and miss it greatly, now’s the time for me to really live it up and say that I got out there, I experienced life and I made my 20s worth something.

To start off small, I’m making plans to go to Israel – which was always on my bucket list. A friend from NY will be taking his birth right to Israel during the end of February and beginning of March. I have a friend from Cairo that is currently living there. Why not now? So, mark the date: beginning of March – I’m off to Israel.

That brings me to visiting my good Texan friend from Cairo out in Romania. I never thought I’d have a desire, but you know, what can it hurt? If anything I see another part of the world that I’ve never remotely ventured to before, or ever really thought I would.

There are other places that I want to go, but I have to be realistic all the same. Money doesn’t grow on trees.

And for the question on everyone’s mind: when am I leaving Cairo? The same response will be given: I don’t know. I’ve been a little sad for a couple of months now. I sat myself down and realized that something has to change. I found out something about someone from my past not too long ago and it brought up feelings that I once had for them. And while I was going to contact the person after the New Year, I’ve decided that while I’m letting a lot of things go in order to end the decade on a good foot – as you should do for the ending of every decade – maybe it’s time I let that person go too.

The change isn’t going to happen overnight, but I hope that by this time next year I’m not questioning myself wondering if I’m any better today than I was when I first arrived in Cairo on July 10, 2008.

And here’s to all the people that I’ve been so blessed to meet on my travels, the ones that have always stayed with me throughout the years, and for all the ones that will soon enter my life.

Happy New Year!

~LeAnne

No comments:

Post a Comment