Saturday, July 30, 2011

Letters from Egypt: A Love Story

Teary-eyed Anthony talking about how he met his soon-to-be wife
My blog has introduced me to a lot of people, and one of those people happen to be Anthony. Born in the UK, I met Anthony prior to his arrival to Egypt after he stumbled upon my blog.

In the beginning I warned him of the dating scene here, both expats and locals (more so the locals). And trust me, this guy had some heavy-handed passport hunters chasing after him like no tomorrow. While we didn’t fall completely out of touch, it did surprise me to see nearly two years later Anthony’s Facebook relationship status change to Engaged.

We met up this week for dinner to catch up and I asked him the number one question you should ask anyone: at what moment did you know she was ‘the one’? Sure that’s a loaded question and I don’t want to hear, “…she’s kind, loves children, etc.” I want to know at what point was it, what did she do, that made you say, “I’m going to marry this woman.”

And so he began describing how he met Natalie and asked her out. She responded, “Okay, but don’t ask me what I want to do, you decide and if I like it, I’ll go on a second date with you.” I love it and Natalie, I’m totally using it! Apparently she liked his decision because after the second date, they were nearly inseparable. She was going out of town for the weekend and Anthony was driving her to the airport. He turned and said, “So how long do you plan on staying in Egypt?” She responded, “I’m actually leaving in a couple of weeks.”

Anthony told me that he instantly pulled the car over. He said, “I felt gutted.” He then told her that she just couldn’t leave. The sweetest part to this story was how when he got to this, he teared up. And here’s a secret, so did I. I never would have expected Anthony to have been so romantic or so emotional. We all wish for this to happen: meet the person of your dreams and have so much emotion that you can’t help – no matter how tough you are – tear up at the thought of losing them.

Living in Egypt, you grow hopeless when it comes to relationships. From my own personal experience, I find it hard to trust anyone. Most of the men that are decent prospects are married, but they might avoid letting you in on that secret. Many of them, local and foreign, cheat constantly. And more so, with such a transient lifestyle, you find it difficult to connect to someone when you know it’s only a matter of time before one of you leaves. However, hearing Anthony’s story and feeling the emotion that he had behind it was a nice little reminder that it can exist.

Anthony and Natalie will be getting married in October in Natalie’s native Australia. I wish the best of them and I’m looking forward to meeting her soon. I don’t think when Anthony moved here that he thought he would ever enjoy it as much as he appears to have done thus far or ever meet “the one.” I wish the best of luck to you both and Anthony, thanks for giving me a reminder that there’s still hope.

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet story. Congratulations, Anthony!

    ReplyDelete