Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Letters from Egypt: Get Home, Remain Home; Brace for Potential Military Coup


Taken on Feb. 11, 2011 after Mubarak stepped down from office

I report on coups d’etat often. I mean, when you cover Africa, you see the change in governments about as often as one changes under garments. However, did I ever think I would live in Egypt under a potential coup? No.

A coup is defined by Merriam Websters as a “sudden decisive of force in politics; especially the violent overthrow or alteration of an existing government by a small group.”

As the Egyptian military gave Morsi 48 hours to leave office with Morsi responding that he would not adhere to the military demands, concerns continue to mount. My office is closing early. The ultimatum given to Morsi will end at 5 pm Cairo time – only five hours from now – and everyone fears the worst.

A year ago when Morsi was declared the winner of the presidential elections, a sigh of relief swept the streets even among the opposition voters. I said on my June 24, 2012 post: “And the threats that were printed throughout the Egyptian newspapers from the Muslim Brotherhood announcing how they will set fire to Egypt if Morsi doesn’t win has everyone worried.”

Personally, I’m not scared. My area has seen protests that are, as previously stated, much like a block party. I equate this standoff to the game of “Chicken.” Morsi is undoubtedly trying to send his top advisors to negotiate a deal which could relatively involve a power-sharing government (because those have known to work so well throughout this continent…). However, he seems firm in his stance to remain Egypt’s first “democratically-elected” leader so who knows.

I will try to keep my blog updated as long as power, internet and telephone service remains uninterrupted. But for all of you in Egypt, particularly Cairo, it’s best that you get off the streets before 5. Although I’m not scared, there’s no point in testing the waters.

No comments:

Post a Comment